The 2017 14U Welles Park travel team is planning to participate in the MSBL, tournaments and scrimmages. Participation in the WPPA house league is a requirement. The team's emphasis will be development and preparation for high school baseball. The 14U team will be professionally coached by high school varsity baseball coach Jay Tebbens.
• 100% of coaching and training will be conducted by Jay Tebbens and staff. This includes tryouts, practices and games.
• Full-time travel team schedule with WPPA house league participation mandatory.
• Off season training and in season practices will be held.
Team/Player Selection Criteria
• Players age may not be 15 year old before May 1, 2017
• Full commitment to practices and games is expected
Player Selection Format
All players are welcome to attend the tryouts
1) Monday August 1st from 6:30pm-8:00pm
2) Friday August 12th from 4:00pm – 5:30pm
We strongly encourage attendance to the 1st 2 tryouts but if these two dates create hardship please email us.
The Phil Twilla fund raider held on Friday, June 24th was a great success and an enjoyable time was had by all.
Ellen Hanson won the Cub's tickets.
Below are a few words from Jack and Sue Twilla.
Jack and I want to thank everyone for participating in the Phil Twilla Fundraiser. The weather was perfect, food was great and mostly the love and support that Jack and I felt was overwhelming. Thank you to WPPA, Lance, and Mary Catherine Marco, Pam Murino, all that were at the golf outing and everyone who purchased raffle tickets for the Cubs game. Jack and I are so lucky to belong to such a caring and supportive organization as the WPPA. Again thank you. Sue and Jack Twilla
The 16U Welles Park Full Time Travel Team will be holding tryouts on August 20th and a potential second tryout on September 10th. We will participate in six to seven tournaments during the Travel season. On occasion the team will try to schedule scrimmages with other local High School teams and 16u travel teams. The team and schedule are designed as a
compliment to high school baseball programs and provide additional training,
development and play over the summer of 2017. Finally, the 16U Welles Park Full Time
Team will once again hire the coaches from Lincoln Park Baseball Academy to run all of the practices off season and in season.
• Coaching and development will be conducted by Steve Borg and Tug Gillingham
of LPBA. This includes helping evaluate players during tryouts, run all the practices, and from time to time go to a few games and tournaments. (bios and
additional information below)
• Full-time travel team
• Regular season practices will occur once and or twice a week beginning June 3rd – July 23rd 2017
• We will have a few off season practices that will be held once a week (either Saturday or Sunday) in order to get our players ready for their High School tryouts from
Late January 2017 – Feb 26th, 2017
• Tournament Play – Local (Chicago, Suburbs and maybe Downstate)
Team/Player Selection Criteria
• Players age must be 16 years old as of May 1, 2017
• Full commitment to practices, games and tournaments are expected
• Player Selection Format
• All players are welcome to attend the tryouts
1) Saturday August 20th from 10:00am-12:30PM
2) Saturday September 10th from 10:00am – 12:00PM
• Please arrive 20 minutes early to register your son the day of the tryouts. If you have any questions please emailing Coach Ed Martinez ( email@example.com)
• Tryout location: Winnemac Park – Diamond 4 (Middle Diamond) on August 20th
Mather Park - Diamond #5 (High School Diamond) on Sep. 10th
• Fee for tryouts - $10
• Parents are required to leave Winnemac and return at the end of the tryouts to pick up their player
• The only adults present will be the Welles Park 16U Travel Coaches and support staff
• The tryouts will begin promptly at the designated times
• 16U Off Season and Regular Season (practices, league play, tournaments)
Head Coach Ed Martinez
• Assistant Head Coach Ross Weisman
• Coach LPBA– Steve Borg
• Coach LPBA– Tug Gillingham
Lincoln Park Baseball Academy (LPBA) is a Chicago based organization focused on baseball
and softball instruction for all ages. Over 1000 youth baseball players have attended one of our summer baseball camps since 2011. LPBA’s expert training covers all key skills from hitting and pitching to defense and team dynamics through both individual and group coaching programs.Whether you are new to the game of baseball or experienced, LPBA’s professional staff will provide players with a camp experience that is challenging, fun, and educational. Our year around programs will help each player acquire the skills they need to be successful and bring their game to the next level.
Steve has been playing competitive baseball for over 35 years. After a successful high school
career at Maine North High School, Steve pitched for the University of New Mexico Lobos. After college, Steve played semi-pro baseball in San Diego, New Orleans and Chicago. Steve taught pitching and hitting at Northshore Baseball Academy and has coached numerous baseball and softball teams over the past 15 years. Steve continues to play in semi-pro leagues throughout the metropolitan Chicagoland area and is currently the Assistant Varsity Baseball Coach at Lincoln Park High School
Tug has 11 years of coaching experience in the college and high school ranks. He served as
the assistant coach at Triton Junior College for two years (2005-2007) and coached two years (2008-2009) as varsity assistant at Walther Lutheran High School, his alma mater where he was a three-year all-conference/all-area catcher. From 2010-2012, Tug was Varsity Head coach/Director of Baseball at Lincoln Park High School earning Conference Coach of the Year honors. In 2013, he was Head Baseball Coach for Rockford Guilford Varsity team. For the past 2 years (2014-2015), Tug has been an associate coach at Morton High School. Throughout these 11 years, Tug has worked, instructed, and consulted at several of Chicagoland’s premier academies. His services have also included 2 seasons of managing a Prospect/Showcase team (c/o ’15). Through these efforts, Tug has been able to help several players reach their goal of playing college baseball. Tug played three years at Purdue University (2000-2003), where he earned Academic All-Big 10honors, and played two years at Northern Illinois University (2004-2005).Tug also played five years of professional independent baseball with the Windy City Thunderbolts, South Georgia Peanuts, Sioux City Explorers, and Joliet Jackhammers